Re: [linux-audio-dev] thoughts on a Linux-audio distribution

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] thoughts on a Linux-audio distribution
From: Erik Steffl (esteffl_AT_pbi.net)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 19:34:32 EEST

  functionality you're talking about makes sense (simple, ready to use
system), but I don't see why would you need a special distro for that.

  just preload and preconfigure one of the distros. I like debian
because of the way t keeps track of dependencies etc. but most of the
major distros would do. the 'thing' would work out of the box, there
would be nothing to setup, there will be one mixer that you choose etc.

  I don't see where the special distro would help but I see where it
could complicate things.

  no matter how audio oriented the system is, you still need that basic
system - all the utilities, networking, probably X-windows, lot of
libraries that programs use, most probably development environment as
well (even though end users might not choose to use it in 90% of cases)
etc... all in all, it's a maintenance nightmare and if somebody is
already doing it (like debian) why not use the results of their work?

  _everything_ that you require below can be fairly easily achieved by
preloading standard distro. and MUCH more (you can let users
automatically update system, pick up application (from YOUR selection of
audio tools and from general distro selection)...

  there have been quite a few e-mails about this but there was not a one
compelling reason to have separate audio distro.

        erik