Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux support for IEEE1394 mLAN?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux support for IEEE1394 mLAN?
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 23:50:29 EEST

"Richard A. Smith" wrote:

[thermal noise]
> Whats the output level of professional mics now days?

depends. i know some neumanns have noise as low as 7-9 db SPL at the
connector - of course, there is an impedance matching amp between it
and the capsule itself.

that should still cover any thermal cable noise, no ?

> The strain guage people talk about "digital" load cells where they do the A/D as close to
> the strain guage as possible. I believe I even read about some company producing gagues
> with the A/D on board.
>
> I think that with out doing the A/D directly at the mic you would have a hard time getting a
> system that didn't wash the last 4-5 bits of resolution with noise. Of course that noise
> would be pretty white so with a little bit of math you might could digitally remove it.

the german manufacturer beyer has a studio condenser with adc on
board and aes-ebu output.

btw: how do you remove white noise with math ? since white noise is
statistical and thus non-deterministic, how can there be a way to
"remove" it ? (not talking about all those somewhat lossy denoiser
algos here.)

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany