Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reverbs... and the usual whinings

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reverbs... and the usual whinings
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 23:58:34 EEST

[no usable recorders for linux]

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> >From: Paul Barton-Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net>
> >
> >it would be better to just note that there are no usable recorders for
> >linux at this time. the fact that people have bad experiences with
> >unusable software is not really worth noting. actually, i think this
> >is formally called a tautology :)
>
> In the same context I also thought that only rare people have an opportunity
> to use low-latency patches etc. which makes the system reliable.
>
> The way I get always dropouts is to delete a large file (20 Mbytes do fine)
> or directory. I'm not sure what are the changes when (i) soft-RT, and then
> (ii) low-latency patch are added to the recorder. Could there be problems
> even our A/D-to-disk buffer would be 16 Mbytes?

why this demoralizing undertone ? :)
we do have recorders, all i can say is that even arecord works for
me if i adhere to some simple don't-do-that rules.
you don't expect a tape recorder to work if you put large magnets on
top, why do you expect a computer to record if you do similarly evil
things to it ?
granted, it would be nice if things got more robust, but unless we
can determine under which circumstances and loads the dropouts
occur, we can work around them. so what ?

j.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany