Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [ecasound] MIDI-feature wish-list

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [ecasound] MIDI-feature wish-list
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 21:43:36 EEST

In message <MDAEMON-F200009261313.AA135320MD32216_AT_bitworks.com>you write:
>On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:10:43 +0300 (EEST), Kai Vehmanen wrote:
>
>>- custom MIDI messages (this might allow to replace keyboard
>> and mouse, with a MIDI-gadget; but is this worth it?)
>
>A generic stand alone form of this would be very handy for the feature set of
>EVO.

it needs just 3 things (forgive the terse explanation):

   % mkfifo my_midi_pipe
   % evo --midi-in my_midi_pipe &
   % clavier --output=my_midi_pipe

clavier can be found via the linux sound+MIDI pages.

>In fact the way I got interested in all this was that Mike Bailey
>asked me if I could figu re out a way for him to remote control
>GigaSampler from another PC. IMHO this would be a good feature as
>well for any of those dedicated rack mount units we are dreaming
>about. Perhaps yo u could end up doing something absolutely nutty
>like running a console via a midi channel.

why do you need to do that ? doesn't GS read from an existing h/w MIDI
port ? why not just connect GS via MIDI to another computer ? what is
the problem here ?

--p