Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 03:22:08 EEST

>I hope that the midishare code is flexible enough to be transformed
>into a pur e userspace midishare server for my proposed rtsoundserver
>model (must audio and MIDI). Audio routing would be useful too so
>that several "clients" (aka plugins) could get/send audio from/to
>various sources which can be real input/outputs or other clients.

MidiShare (the demo I saw at LSM) can do this. I don't know enough
about the code to know how much of it is kernel-side and how much is
user-side. it has a GUI to hook things up, and the connections can be
many-to-one, one-to-many as well as one-to-one. I doubt that the
latency is really good enough for real-time performance with a
soft-synth, but it looked pretty great for everything else.

>I hope that someday "pro" apps like Ardour can be converted to this
>model. (the audio thread has to be basically completely non-blocking
>and can't wait o n mutexes etc, and I do not know how hard this would
>be to do in Ardour (basically you have to transform mutexes into
>lock-free message passing (which is sometimes more complicated than
>simply locking a variable))

ardour's audio thread doesn't block for anything except page faults
and the audio device. page faults will not happen either away if
mlockall() is called. there are no mutexes and no system calls in the
audio thread once it starts running its main loop.

--p