Re: [linux-audio-dev] General Recording Device and Environment Questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] General Recording Device and Environment Questions
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 12:16:42 EET

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 10:57:40AM -0500, Rick Burnett wrote:

> Second is about noise. So I have been doing some research on hum
> created by a monitor, from induction to the coils in guitar pickups.
> All my guitars have this problem with my bass being the worst! So I

Interesting, I can't offer any useful help, but I can say that I have a
bass guitar at home that I regularly use near my monitor (a smallish CRT
Samsung) and I have no problems. NB I know very little about guitars, I
just use mine as a sinewave generator. I think its an Aria, it has a bunch
of pickups and needs a 9v battery to work, if that helps. I just bought
the best looking one in the shop ;)

I did find that changing cables made quite a bit of difference though. I
was distressed to find out that guitars aren't balanced.

- Steve

OT If anyone knows a good online bass tutorial, I'm kinda interested to
learn, its quite fun. I used to play 6 string when I was a kid, but I
can't remeber much. Before my current one I had a cheap fretless, but it
met with an unfortunate accident.