Re: [linux-audio-dev] efficient non-blocking writes to /dev/dsp

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] efficient non-blocking writes to /dev/dsp
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 15:33:34 EEST

>I quite like ALSA as well, but you can't really use it, because its API
>is changing all the time.

right. reflecting what we were learning as we began to incorporate
drivers for high-end cards and other new devices into the system.

> I implemented ALSA Support in glame for
>ALSA 0.5 and now with 0.9 everything is broken again... Anyway, I hope
>it is stabilizing soon.

suffice it to say that the CVS log messages these days contain reports
on documentation being written. 'nuff said ?

:)

> BTW: Do you know if there's an easy way with alsa
>to send 5.1 streams through SP/DIF. Last week I got myself a Hoontech card

i've seen discussions about this on alsa-devel, but i don't know
anything about it myself.

--p