Re: [linux-audio-dev] file systems

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] file systems
From: Andrew Clausen (clausen_AT_gnu.org)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 12:27:28 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:
> personally, i suspect that FAT is the best FS for audio :)
>
> I'm only half-joking. Too bad I don't have the time to measure it.

I doubt it. FAT has it's metadata at the start of the disk.
That's a LONG seek if you're near the end. UFS and ext2 are
better in this respect. (both of these are *simple*, too. They
just look more complicated than FAT because they are badly
documented, hehe)

Also, XFS allows you to guarantee bandwidth (on irix). That
said, it's probably more conservative, but I've never played
with it.

Andrew Clausen