Re: [linux-audio-dev] file systems

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] file systems
From: Andrew Clausen (clausen_AT_gnu.org)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 14:05:07 EEST

Joe Santapau wrote:
> sorry if you getting this twice ljp...
>
> i don't know about the others but i was tinkering with the notion
> of using a raw partition for recording audio to get rid of filesystem
> overhead
> much like the old databases of yore.
>
> don't know if this would be of any benefit.

You could use LVM, which would allow you to manage your space
a bit better. (Can you imagine having 10 partitions for 10
songs? And how would you reorganize free space? LVM does all
this nicely ;-)

Some differences between fs's and raw devices:
* there is rawio available on raw devices (bypassing buffer
cache and page cache, IIRC)
* there is no page cache on raw devices (yet)
* there is probably less seeking on raw devices. Hard to say
with LVM - probably very good with large physical extents.
Raw partitions, certainly. With file systems like reiserfs,
you might want to disable tail-merging. I suspect ext2 is
better, because it's simpler (so less chance of jitter), but I
guess this needs to be tested.

Andrew Clausen