[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extensions

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extensions
From: Jim Peters (jim_AT_aguazul.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 14:59:21 EEST

I've just discovered LADSPA, and I can see this is a good low-overhead
module standard, and I respect the decision to keep things as simple
as possible.

However, there appears to be no standard mechanism to extend it for
special cases. How is this normally done ? I'll explain my situation:

I want to write a sample-playing module. Really, I'd like to pass the
sample filename on creating the module instance so that it can preload
the sample. After that point, it can be completely controlled using
the normal input ports, using deactivate() and activate() to reset the
play position.

I have a few ideas - for one, I could pass extra arguments to
instantiate(), but this definitely breaks the standard, causing
possible crashes if anyone else loaded the module.

Another way might be to add a new function to the .so file that can be
recognised and picked up by programs that know about it. This isn't
very neat, but I think it would work. Kind of a back door approach.

Any thoughts on this ?

Jim

--
 Jim Peters         /             __   |  \              Aguazul