Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension mechanism *proposal*

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension mechanism *proposal*
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 11:52:47 EEST

On Thursday 05 April 2001 16:26, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Jim Peters wrote:
> > Steve Harris wrote:
> > > *sigh*
> > >
> > > One of the reasons LAD_S_PA is so good is that its really
> > > Simple. Anyone can pick up the docs and learn how it works in
> > > half an hour. Also it is currently possible for any host to
> > > build an appropriate GUI just from the port descriptions and
> > > hints, you don't seem to have addressed that.
> > >
> > > There are plenty of other plugin systems for linux that are or
> > > will be capable of doing this kind of thing, use one of those.
> >
> > Message received and understood. That's one vote against.
> > Anyone else like to comment ?
>
> Hum, one plus here; in fact I like your scheme. It doesn't break
> anything (except the size of the struct (recompile) and it allows
> for `limitless' extension.
>
> OpenGL -- an extremely successful and well though out API *relies*
> on a string-based extension system to allow for takes advatage of
> features while not breaking other stuff.
>
> In 10 years, there have been 3 versions of OGL
> In 6 years, there have been 8 versions of DirectX

This *could* have something to do with Microsofts need to pump new
(and incompatible) versions out to keep people busy upgrading, but
indeed, the two APIs demonstrate pretty orthogonal design styles.

> ones allows for string based query and return of extensions, one
> doesn't... Go Figure.

Strings are nice and easy, but MAIA uses integer codes various
reasons. (Applies to data types as well an "Protocols", which would
correspond to the extensions we're talking about here.) This may or
may not be a good idea, but I can't see how extension ID codes would
be significantly different from strings, from a management POV - it
has to go through some central authority either way. Actually, it's
only a Good Thing if it's clearly indicated that inventing a new
Protocol isn't something you're supposed to do for every few plugins
you write.

(There can't be an infinite number of ways to transfer an infinite
number of datatypes, so it should be possible to define a set of
datatypes and Protocols that cover any practical situation. Seems to
work pretty well for OpenGL, even though some of the calls seem way
too specialized to be in the official API.)

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'