Re: [linux-audio-dev] Actually making music

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Actually making music
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 21:24:22 EEST

>So, whats a good option for multitrack linux recording, right now. I have
>a hammerfall and external mixer, so I don't need anything fancy, just 8+
>tracks of recording and playback,

I'm using arecord. I'm sure that it is possible to setup multitracks
with this app. It would mean running multi terminals though. As far as I
can tell this seems to be the best option at the mo for recording or
playing multiple streams of realtime audio. No where near optimal
though.

I say this because aplay/arecord seems to be the only easily installed
app that can do a version of multitracking. All the others I have used
are just too buggy or the quality is too low. Mind you I'm using gcc-3.0
which is a bitch to say the least.

Once again a good example of "Jack of all trades master of none".

Hmm, could even be a good explanation of the state of Linux audio ;-]

Gives weight to Abramo's ideas for the future of ALSA too.

>and simple editing preferably with ladspa support.
>
>Any advice apreciated

Hack on ardour, ecasound, glame, audacity, sweep..... the list goes on
and on and on and....

I mean it's not like you don't have the time right?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Manager Boost Hardware.
Importing Korean Computer Products to New Zealand.