Re: [linux-audio-dev] XRuns and Low-Latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XRuns and Low-Latency
From: René Rebe (rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 20:21:03 EEST

Thanks for the quick reply!

On Mon, 06 Aug 2001 15:27:12 +0200
Frank Neumann <Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net wrote:
>
> > I have a problem during 10 channel, full-duplex IO using ALSA 0.9-beta6 and a Midimann Delta 1010. (Linux 2.4.7-low-latency, AMD Athlon 600Mhz, 256MB RAM)
> >

> [..]
>
> > I works pretty well, except after 20-30 seconds I get many XRuns every 1 - 2 seconds. They happen >everytime Linux decides to flush the data in the disc-cache. (I have a IBM 30gig IDE disk (yes in UDMA66 >mode ...) with an ReiserFS on it.)
>
> I can imagine your problem is that either:
> - the LowLatency patches might not yet include lowlatencyfying (;^)
> ReiserFS (tried ext2?)

In the patch there are some conditional_schedule () lines in ReiserFS ... - I might try
ext2 but I currently haven't a free disk nor can I rearange my develop-machine's disc layout
... .

> - You don't actually have the LL stuff activated. If you built your
> kernel with the option "Control low latency with sysctl.", you'll have
> to say something like this as root:
> # echo 1 >/proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency
>
> because by default in this case LL would be disabled.

I didn't compiled the LL stuff with sysctl support so it must be on ... - but I will
recompile a kernel with this option to be shure.

> (all unconfirmed, just reading through Andrew Morton's page, CMIIW (*)).
>
> Frank
>
> (*) Correct Me If I'm Wrong
> --
> Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com), VIONA Development Center
> ST Microelectronics, Karlstraße 27, 76133 Karlsruhe

k33p h4ck1n6 René

--
René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #127875)

eMail: rene.rene_AT_gmx.net rene.rebe_AT_rocklinux.org

Homepage: http://www.rene.rebe.myokay.net/

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged $25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from this message or its header, you agree to these terms.