Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] Cool Edit & Snd comparison survey (brief)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] Cool Edit & Snd comparison survey (brief)
From: Paul Kellett (paul.kellett_AT_maxim.abel.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 00:26:25 EEST

I've only used Snd briefly but I use CE a lot (I actually use CE 96).
Hope this is of some use...

> 1) How do you most typically use Cool Edit, i.e., what routines do you
> most commonly access ?

Cut, paste, crop to selection, fade, mix-paste - for quick tidying up
of samples and tracks. Also use FFT filter and test tone generators,
but most of the other functions I rarely use.

Also use the spectrum, spectrogram and statistics displays a lot when
developing audio software - CE is technically very good, for example
showing the correct sinc interpolation when zoomed right in, allowing
editing down to individual samples, separate selection of left and
right channels for processing, being able to save waveform data as
text, being able to enter values in dB or %.

> 2) What do you consider CE's greatest strength as a soundfile editor ?

"Single document" format - it's faster to use than Sound Forge or
WaveLab where you are always adjusting window sizes and zoom to see
what you are doing. In CE you can just open more "instances" if you
need them, and the zooming is simple. Also being able to open any
file just by specifying bit depth, sample rate, etc. is useful.

> 3) What do you like most/least about CE ?

As I use few of the functions the toolbar is just in the way and is
ugly and can't be switched off. What I really miss is a crossfade-
looping tool like in Sound Forge, as it's time consuming doing
crossfades by hand. It's a small enough program to use as the default
sound player and it supports lots of file types, though it could be
more complete - for example it will only embed loop info in .wav
files not .aiff

Paul Kellett.

  m a x i m | digital audio

    http://mda-vst.com