[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Csnd] [OT] Cool Edit & Snd comparison survey (brief)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Csnd] [OT] Cool Edit & Snd comparison survey (brief)
From: J P Fitch (jpff_AT_maths.bath.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 15:43:16 EEST

 Dave> Greetings:

 Dave> I'm preparing a set of tutorials for Snd, and I'm also working on a
 Dave> new article for O'Reilly Network in which I'll be comparing (nicely) Snd
 Dave> to Cool Edit 2000 (*not* CE Pro). I hope to supply migrating CE users
 Dave> with materials that will ease their way into using Snd.

 Dave> So, if you're using one or both of those programs, perhaps you could
 Dave> answer the following few questions:

 Dave> 1) How do you most typically use Cool Edit, i.e., what routines do you
 Dave> most commonly access ?

I use
a) Record
b) Amplify/Normalise
c) De-Noise
d) delete
e) Spectral view

 Dave> 2) What do you consider CE's greatest strength as a soundfile editor ?

I like getting to the sample level, and as it interpolates with sinc I
can move individual samples.

 Dave> 3) What do you like most/least about CE ?

It runs on Windows and i have to boot specially

 Dave> 4) What would you most like to see in Snd ?

Sample level editing. Actually I deleted snd from my disk as it did
not do anything useful....

 Dave> 5) Do you prefer Snd with GTK, Motif, or no GUI at all ?

No preference; indeed do not understand the question

 Dave> 6) What do you like most/least about Snd ?

When I tried it is plain did not work

Actually Cool Edit is the main reason I run/boot the WIndows machine.
The other is that the CDR is attached to the SCSI bus (it is very old)

I have to boot my main Linux machine into Windows98 in order to
transfer data from my data as I have not managed to understand how to
arrange the ALSA mixer correctly. That is a major use of CE for me.
I have not found any acceptable Linux/Unix sound editor. The
soundeditor on Irix4 was reasonable (but no sample level stuff) but
the Irix5 version was much worse. I have a student looking at writing
a Cool-like frame work (called Luke, and in lukewarm)

==John ffitch