Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 13:20:50 EET

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 04:16:07PM -0800, Neil Brideau wrote:

> http://magic.gibson.com/specification.html

Interesting. Is a domestic network card under linux capable of obeying
this spec? IIRC their previous effort was sent over cat5, but there was
something funky about it. Also is it possible to use the same NIC as you're
using for TCP/IP? I think I remember sending IPX over the same card as
TCP/IP in the bad old days.

Inevitable comparison with mLAN:

- mLAN has built in routing
+ ethernet has more mature support in linux
- mLAN can send high latency (eg. tcp/ip) down the same cable with no
  problems.
+ mLAN cables/cards cost more and less common
+ MaGIC has targeted parameters and MIDI, mLAN just MIDI
+ MaGIC is more open

Maybe I should have played with raw ethernet packets when I did my latency
measurements before, but its a bit lower level than I really like playing
with.

I have this horrible premonition of guitar players going round with cat5
and synth players going round with 1394, and all the hardware companies
flogging expensive translator boxes... conspiracy anyone ;)

- Steve