Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 13:31:38 EET

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 03:33:46 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >LCP.Version: 0.0.1
>
> seems useful, though i hope it never is :)

I bet people said that about ladspa too ;)

> we don't care about the toolkit in any way. we really don't.

Yep, *very* good point. I was thinking that QT apps would proably want QT
interfaces for consistency, but lets not encourage discrimination eh? ;)

> >DC.Coverage: 1220
>
> why make the host's life difficult? why not just do this
> in the filesystem? i don't want to have to have ardour

What about a MIDI "UI" that supports any plugin and connects to /dev/midi*
I guess it could symlink into directories for all installed plugins, but
that sounds like it would cause problems.

If the only examples are UI's for all plugins and for one plugin were OK
though, we just have an all directory.

> i just want to be able to say: we need a GUI for plugin ID 1220,
> can we find a suitably-named file in LADSPA_GUI_PATH?

Are you concerned about complexity or cpu/disk use?

> >DC.Title: Harmonics generator GTK interface
>
> what's this for ? the plugin can ensure that its window
> has title decorations.

So the user can pick the right one? I think some plugins will have several
guis.

> >DC.Identifier: http://plugin.org.uk/guis/harmonics_generator_gtk
> >DC.Creator: Steve Harris
> >DC.Creator.email: steve_AT_plugin.org.uk
>
> why would we care about any of this?

OK, OK. I did a stint as a Digitial Libraries researcher and I guess some
of it rubbed off ;) I just got metadata happy.

However, apart from LCP.Version: none of it would be compulsory, and its
useful sometimes to be able to find out who made something without doing a
websearch.

- Steve