Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 12:14:24 EET

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 11:06:14 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> you mean a special directory in which every GUI was 100% generic? who
> is going to write such a thing except for host authors, and why? but

I was thinking of the MIDI "GUI" I talked about earlier. It would allow
non-midi hosts to allow MIDI control of LADSPA with very little effort.

> thats fine too. i'll modify the idea to:
>
> 1) search LADSPA_PATH, appending "gui" to each directory named,
> and then the LADSPA plugin ID, and then look for ?????

Lets make it consitant with the presets. Taybin?

> 2) pick one if one or more gui's are found
> 3) search LADSPA_GUI_PATH to find generic GUIs. pick
> one if one or more are found.
> 3) build default (whatever that is) if nothing is found
>
> how to identify a "gui" is another question. we don't dlopen() them -
> just fork/exec, so there needs to be a filesystem-based method of
> identifying them as candidates.

--metadata? Or do you want something that doesn't involve execing them?

> in what has been discussed so far, a "GUI" implies X Window. this is a
> bit limiting, even though it will cover 99.8% of all current cases,
> and a similar number in the future. i think that any naming convention
> for GUIs should indicate that they use X (or not) so that future non-X
> situations can be handled.

Maybe we should call them interfaces or frontends? A bit more generic.
Frontend/backend has a nice symmetry.

> how? using any metadata means either opening a 2nd file to read the
> metadata, or dlsym-ing to find the revalant symbol. since we don't
> dlsym GUI's, only the first is really possible, and as soon as there
> are 2 files, one of them can always go out of sync.

I suggested calling "gui-bin --metadata" and reading stdout for this reason.
Also works across rsh and ssh if you are spawing on another machine.

Which reminds me, do we guatantee endianess of the floats on the wire?

> >What code would you like to see? I don't think it really needs any
> >library support.
>
> how is the metadata discovered/read?

See above.

- Steve