Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 16:25:47 EET

In message <1007990112.3c14b560343be_AT_imp.free.fr>you write:
>>> Because if someone comes with a cool XML-GUI reader, and that I'm too lazy
>>> provide an ad hoc GUI, it would be interesting to write a simple XML GUI
>>> description and specifiy that the GUI program should be /usr/bin/xmlread
>with
>>> option plugin.xml
>
>>/usr/bin/xmlread would be able to load the correct XML file, as it is
>>given the uniqueid of the plugin when its exec'd.
>
>Except when you write the plugin & the XML file AFTER /usr/bin/xmlgui (or
>xmlgui should know where to find GUI description files before they have been
>created : setting a well known parameter files directory, for example
>using /usr/share/whatever/$GUIENGINE/$UNIQUE_ID as parameter files may be an
>option, of course ) ...

if a LADSPA host initiates the fork/exec of the GUI, it can only
provide so much information to whatever the GUI is. if the GUI is a
generic program that reads other files to do its work, that other
program needs to take care of itself.

if i use perl to implement the GUI, and it needs to know where to find
some data files, the host can't help with that. same for
"/usr/bin/xmlgui".

--p