Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 16:50:33 EET

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 09:22:43 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

[not wanting to iterate over binarries and call --metadata, etc.]

Fair enough, I can see why you wouldn't want to do that, but other people
might. Ardour isn't quite as plugin-centric as other apps.

> when i said "identify a gui" i didn't mean "given a LADSPA plugin ID,
> find a GUI". i meant "given a directory of inodes, how to tell which
> ones might be GUIs". i'd prefer a consistent naming scheme:
>
> ladspa-<LADSPA_PLUGIN_ID>-x-frontend

OK, but isn't it fair to assume that all executable files in
/usr/local/lib/ladspa/gui/<ID>/* (LADSPA_GUI_PATH or whatever) are frontends?

We assume things in /usr/local/lib/ladspa/ and co. are plugins, right?

And I think ladspa-<LADSPA_PLUGIN_ID>-<TAG>-x-frontend is necceary anyway,
eg. ladspa-1220-default-x-frontend and ladspa-1220-advanced-x-frontend

> its not clear how to handle the generic GUI case. the multi-plug GUI
> case can be handled with symbolic links, but the generic one needs
> both a designator to say that its "generic", and an addition tag in
> case you have "steve's generic GUI" and "richard's generic GUI".
>
> ladspa-any-<TAG>-x-frontend

That looks fine.

> >I suggested calling "gui-bin --metadata" and reading stdout for this reason.
> >Also works across rsh and ssh if you are spawing on another machine.
>
> sounds fine, but i can't see myself ever using it unless we decide
> that this is how we discover GUIs and map GUIs to plugins.

It can be one way of doing that, infering it from the filename is also valid.

> >Which reminds me, do we guatantee endianess of the floats on the wire?
>
> OK, we'll use strings. Or something. Gack. Choke.
>
> --p <falls over, dead>

- Steve (picks up Paul and dusts him off). Requiring them the be little
  endian might be better. The sparc+motorola people can complain about it
  later ;)