Re: [linux-audio-dev] LCP v0.1.0

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LCP v0.1.0
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 17:59:10 EET

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> >> Also what seems to be missing is the API part for querying
> >> a host for its plugins and the plugins for its ports.
> >
> >The idea was that the host would be spawning the frontend (GUI, whatever).
> >In LADSPA it is fairly simple for a frontend to inspect the plugin to find
> >out what its ports are. OTOH it could be a wothwhile addition if we ever
> >support frontends to "lambda networks".
>
> More than that: the notion of "generic GUIs" was low on the list of
> design inputs. The model was that a GUI is written for a specific
> plugin, and thus knows its ports. The purpose of these GUIs is to
> provide visual customization not possible when relying on the host to
> build a generic GUI.

I think an important use of LCP is that the host writer need _not_ care
about GUI design, but can just launch a standard LADSPA-default-gtk-gui
or whatever that handles params via sliders or numerical entries. I dont
think custom GUIs will be popping out en masse, because GUI writing is
somewhat boring :)

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/