Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hard-drives and soundcard support

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hard-drives and soundcard support
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 21:57:30 EET

Dan Frost wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I'm hoping to move over to linux, in order to join you happy developers, from
> windows. I want to do this by buying a 2nd hard-drive for linux and dual
> booting, using a floppy to change the boot-order.

it's wise to have a boot floppy handy, but you can also just install
LILO into the master boot record of your windows disk. lilo can load
windows partitions.
you'll need a bootdisk every time you reinstall windows, because as
with all things microsoft it has the nice habit of overwriting
anything that it doesn't know.
in that case, you must rewrite lilo into the mbr.

> Could anyone tell me if
> there's a min-spec you'd recomend for linux audio for a hd?

any recent ide disk is ok.
i'm even using a 5400 rpm drive, which has higher seek times than
the state-of-the-art drives with 7200, but it's quieter.
of course, if you plan to do heavy multitracking and you're planning
a box from scratch, consider scsi, because you can easily go raid.
raid does not make much sense with ide, unless you don't use the
"slave" connectors, but then you can only have a few disks at a
time.

for home use, ide is more than enough.

> Also, i've got a Hoontech DSP24 and ADC&DAC2000 (as well as the Creative Labs
> that came with the Dell). I notice alsa supports Hoontech SoundTrack Digital
> 4DWave NX - does anyone know if it supports my Hoontech stuff?

i don't know your hardware. find out which chip is on the hoontech,
and then check at the
http://www.alsa-project.org site if it's supported. you may also
want to look at their mailing lists for any further installation
questions you run into.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany