Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hard-drives and soundcard support

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hard-drives and soundcard support
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 00:27:04 EET

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Dan Frost wrote:

> Could anyone tell me if there's a min-spec you'd recomend for linux
> audio for a hd?

i've always bought maxtor harddrives - they work great and i've never had
one go out on me. anything new should be good enough unless you are doing
some major multitracking, and then you can use raid (but with your setup
you probably won't need to).

> Also, i've got a Hoontech DSP24 and ADC&DAC2000 (as well as the
> Creative Labs that came with the Dell).

see www.alsa-project.org/~goemon/ . you have an envy24 (ice1712) chip,
which is very good, though from the cheapest company that uses it (a nice
setup,, though). i'm sure people will want to know your results with that
card to compare to the m-audio delta and terratec cards (i've read they
are a bit more noisy, but they *should* perform as well). oh, and you
should not use your creative labs card for anything serious! i use a
consumer card as a second card just for playing cds and for testing
things. if you still run windows, your creative labs card could cause
problems just being installed, but then that's windows.

> And lastly - i've a little programming knowledge (mostly C++), which
> i'm going to expand on very shortly. Is there a small project that
> anyone would recomend learning linux-audio on/by having a look at?

most things are written in c, though a few projects use c++. also, you'll
need to use either the latest release of alsa, or a cvs version (i use the
cvs version from 10/20/01). oss has a nasty bug when a sound is started
and doesn't perform as well (unless you are using an oss-only program),
and it costs $65! alsa is free. :) you'll also want a recent (2.4.x)
kernel to which you can apply the low-latency (ll) or pre-emptive (pe)
patch so you can get latency down much lower than you currently have in
windows.

-dave

--
perl -e'@email=split(//,".tenmhd\@nosbud");foreach$letter(@email){$
email=$letter.$email;}$email=~s/(m|net\.)/a\1\1/g;print"$email\n";'