[linux-audio-dev] Hard-drives and soundcard support

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Hard-drives and soundcard support
From: Wa Ditti (wa.ditti_AT_sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 03:38:23 EET

A Cautionary tale:

I bought a pair of IBM 40's for my ASUS A7A266 motherboard. Mandrake 8.1 would
run weirdly for about a week, then I would have to reinstall it. Windows 2000
Pro declared them corrupt right of the bat and wouldn't load at all. After
three months of changing every jumper setting and BIOS option available, I
tried the "32 Meg clip" setting on the hard drives, everything works fine now.

I understand drive size is no obstacle for Linux operating systems, however it
is an obstacle for some PIII motherboard BIOS's which can only handle up to 32
Gigs, I don't know if there's a way to go straight to the operating system
without the BIOS being involved, if there is I like to know about it, as I
have 16 Gigs of storage languishing in my machine.

So beware. Bigger is not always better [insert tasteless joke here].

Blair