Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 04:31:56 EET

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 04:47:08AM -0500, Ivica Bukvic wrote:
> What was, was. Leave it alone, let it be. Our lesson of the day is that
> OSS is past its prime (it arguably never had one, but that is beside the
> point), and as such should be replaced by a better counterpart, in this
> case Alsa. Defending OSS's historical merits (or lack there of) has
> nothing to do with OSS's current state and its effect on the LAD
> community.

I agree. But I was responding to Mark's post which I interpreted as
saying that OSS *never* served any good purpose, and its presence as a
cross-platform API was useless since we're all about linux here. I
will be very happy when ALSA is in the kernel and people stop writing
oss drivers. But I think it's wrong to attack the OSS team and Linus
as if they somehow did us a great disservice. I personally am grateful
for their efforts, even as I recognize that we need something better.

> >I would say lack of *desire* to do anything else on the part of all but
> >very small group... most of whom are here and/or on the alsa lists.
>
> So does this mean that we should just build what is barely enough to
> keep the OS running and leave it at that
(snip)

No, of course not. WE (linux audio developers / users) should not
settle for less than we want. But we should not be angry at the larger
community of kernel developers for failing to provide us with anything
better than OSS, because most of them have very modest audio-related
needs, if any.

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com