RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 01:20:32 EET

[mailto:owner-linux-audio-
> dev_AT_music.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of Paul Davis
> Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 3:59 PM
> To: linux-audio-dev_AT_music.columbia.edu
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

non-real-time
> including s
> >nd).
> >>
> >> Slab, ecasound, ... what's the problem?
>
> sorry, i wasn't precise enough. by "edit and mixdown" i am including
> the notion of "operations performed according to musical time" and
> "operations performed on entities with musical semantics".

Not all serious music requires this kind of approach. Electronic music
does not rely on tempi (unless it has something to do with real-time
performance with a live performer reading conventional score), neither
it requires any kind of musical time reference (in most cases, where the
whole idea behind creative work is a creation of, what I like to call, a
sonic landscape). Such compositional work is heavily based on intuition
and creativity, not on time-measuring tools (although there is no reason
why it couldn't be).

> last time i looked, neither slab nor ecasound had any clue about
> tempo, meter, and so forth, and neither operated in a way that let you
> define a chunk of audio (other than a complete file) that could be
> manipulated, repositioned, duplicated etc.

Mixmagic can cut, paste, and reposition sounds (or chunks of them)
without having to create a new soundfile. It is a rather formidable
mixer, unfortunately it is yet another example of (for some odd reason)
frozen project. Check it out at

http://mixmagic.sourceforge.net

screenshot at:
http://mixmagic.sourceforge.net/screenshot.php