Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: D. Stimits (stimits_AT_idcomm.com)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 23:05:20 EET

Paul Davis wrote:

> >So what you are saying is "if we get everyone to switch to alsa and use
> >alsa properly, (i.e. writing apps which send buffered audio data to the
> >alsa-server in a timely fashion)" the need for a separate sound daemon
> >will disappear. Right?
>
> Almost.
>
> "if we get everyone to switch to alsa, then everyone can share audio
> interfaces".
>
> "if we teach everyone how to use LD_PRELOAD and they accept it, then
> everyone can share audio interfaces without even switching to ALSA."

LD_PRELOAD on a casual basis is evil. It isn't needed if the system has
the relevant libraries a the first choice in linker path anyway, so
casual use of LD_PRELOAD on different applications is just a hack that
can be dangerous to machine survival. LD_PRELOAD is not something to
hand off to average users; even developers should beware of what happens
when it is used wrong, as well as security problems.

D. Stimits, stimits_AT_idcomm.com