Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 08:03:49 EET

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Jussi Laako wrote:

> I'll gladly switch to ALSA when there's something that matches Cakewalk
> SONAR. But I also strongly believe that such program is possible to write
> using OSS also.

do you use your computer for making music, or do you use it for studio
engineering work? if the latter, then i can see how you like sonar and
want something like that on linux. however, if you are more into creating
music on a computer, sonar (and all other products like it), are very
constricting on creativity in this regard. i have a friend who has every
one of these types of programs on windows (and two pulsars), and yet all
he can create as far as music is not that creative. yes, on the
studio-end it is, but not on the originating material. that's what i love
about linux - it has great tools for *creating* music, and then a medley
of tools that will currently do the job if combined together and you have
the patience to learn them all (which i have not). all the aspects of
sonar exist on linux, they just aren't all integrated together, yet (and i
still say there is no good audio file editor for linux (i still use
cooledit 1.51 from 7? years ago, though it sucks as a recorder and
ecasound rules, and arecord does the job nicely). i would contribute to
an editor, but i don't know anything about gui programming, and the only
editor i see that's promising on linux is *closed source* (taon). i think
snd sucks, btw.

-dave

--
perl -e'@email=split(//,".tenmhd\@nosbud");foreach$letter(@email){$
email=$letter.$email;}$email=~s/(m|net\.)/a\1\1/g;print"$email\n";'