[linux-audio-dev] How to get 64+ channels from a single computer?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] How to get 64+ channels from a single computer?
From: Anders Torger (torger_AT_ludd.luth.se)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 22:15:20 EET

In applications such as wave front synthesis there is a need of a great
number of individual output channels, typically 32 - 64 of them. Another
application is large-scale artificial reverberation.

My problem is to get 64 or more output channels (that is 8 or more ADAT
outputs) into a single computer, and have them all sample-aligned.

If I use a RME Hammerfall (supported by ALSA), I get 3 ADAT outputs, but I
rather like to have three times more. The straight-forward way to solve
that would be to use three Hammerfalls, and then I would get 72 channels,
which would be enough. The problem is then how to get them sample-aligned
correctly, that is when I say "play!" all three cards should start to play
sample-aligned.

Feeding all cards with the same clock is no problem, but as far as I know,
there is no hardware support for synchronising start/stop between cards.
Is the built-in ALSA software synchronisation good enough to get 48 kHz
sample alignment?

Is there a solution to my problem? Either synchronise a few RME9652, or
find some other sound card with more channels.

/Anders Torger