Re: [linux-audio-dev] Which Linux Distribution For ALSA?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Which Linux Distribution For ALSA?
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 13:13:02 EET

Mark Constable hat gesagt: // Mark Constable wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 09:49, Vincent Touquet wrote:
> > Well, I find it very easy to use Debian.
> > But if this is your first encounter with Linux, that might not be the best
> > idea ...
> >
> > I would recommend you the latest SuSE I think ...
>
> Good call (most likely) and very sad, I'm a hardcore Debian
> user since '95 and I also would not recommend Debian for a
> first time linux user.
> [says why...]

You made some good points, but as you surely know: If one has tasted Debian
once, one will not install other distributions anymore ;)

I, like many (long time) Debian users, have started with other
distributions (Slackware first, then bought a now defunct DLD, an german
rpm-based distribution) and then switched to Debian, where I will
probably stay forever... I think, even a beginner can go Debian,
that's where he/she will end anyway. This is especially true for the
linux-audio world, because that's such a moving target. For a lot of
audio applications, you will need bleeding edge libraries and stuff.
There is no distribution for sale, that meets this requirements out of
the box.

Except debian-unstable ;)

Maybe.

--