Re: [linux-audio-dev] protux - another ambitious lad-ish project

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] protux - another ambitious lad-ish project
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 16:26:53 EET

>http://protux.sourceforge.net/
>"Protux' goal is to create a definitive solution for audio professionals
>who use Linux, and need a powerful and practical software for the daily
>work."

Heh heh! Yet another "GIMP of audio", "SoundForge clone", etc. Welcome!

I don't intend to sound bad, but this tactics of popping new editors
once a month is not efficient at all. While I'm sure that in the future
comes a month when right people starts the project and we finally get
what is needed, we would get the software faster by being co-operative.
(Or, we could together just wait when Paul writes one.)

Yep, everyone wants code immediately and no any designs or plans are needed.
But just look at the existing software: they look exactly like having no
designs and plans done. I would like to see that we back-off from the
traditional "this is for fun", "it's just a hobby", etc. attitudes and
start working just like they work in good, big software companies.

We need a person (or two) who is able to manage the project, keep up the
complexity and distribute tasks for other volunteers. We also need volunteers
who are ready for taking the given tasks --- we don't need hackers who are
only cabable of doing what they like to do.

OK, there are plenty of good people here. With hacker's attitude, only a few
of them finds any use. With software developer's attitude, we would get more
people involved.

I'm ready to start when ever you do!

Best regards,

Juhana