Re: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency kernel

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency kernel
From: Andrew Morton (andrewm_AT_uow.edu.au)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 06:39:28 EET

Christopher Lee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is the low-latency kernel work discussed on this list?

It's as good a place as any.

> I recently read about Andrew Morton's talk at linuxconf.au and downloaded
> his low-latency kernel patches. (I'm currently running 2.4.1-lowlatency
> SMP w/ reiserfs on ATA-33 drives and still see occasional spikes in
> "latencytest-0.42" crossing the 2.9ms line.... I guess have some questions
> and could offer to do smp tests.)

Was that observed while using reiserfs?

reiserfs doesn't work as well as ext2 - 3 milliseconds isn't a
big surprise, but it's top of the range. (But it's better than
the normal 100 mSecs...) The reiserfs guys were very helpful in
the preparation of that part of the patch and I did back out a
few parts because of performance concerns.

If you're really after best latencies, stick with ext2 for the
while. (Isn't 2.9 mS good enough??)