Re: [linux-audio-dev] protux, stereo and interleaving

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] protux, stereo and interleaving
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 08:22:20 EET

On Sunday 11 February 2001 15:58, Iain Sandoe wrote:
[...]
> OK - I will try and expand upon this - it is *very* important to
> bands like mine where you have a mixture of people some of whom
> deal most comfortably with "standard" musical notation and some of
> whom "play exclusively by ear".
>
> Let us assume that there is an instance of what VST calls the
> "Master Track". This contains the relationship between real
> elapsed time and "musical notation time" - the latter expressed in
> terms of tempi, beats signatures and so on.
>
> so, supposing we play a piece (we are prog. dinosaurs BTW) that has
> several time signature changes and maybe almost continuous tempo
> change. We play "live"/Jam - that is the way we compose. So we
> have a stream of audio in the machine about which the audio program
> currently knows nothing - just where it starts. OK the program has
> a notional tempo (but that it currently irrelevant).
>
> now I want to create a "master Track" that reflects the correct
> tempo/signature/real time relationships - because then I can add
> 'sequenced' type racks that can be printed out in score form.
> (maybe these will just transcribe what was played - it depends).
>
> ****> I do not wish to *touch* the audio - all I wish to do is to
> build a "sequencer" type track that would have the correct logical
> information to relate back to the audio.
>
> So I lock the audio (VST 'timelock" facility).
> I then proceed to enter the time/tempi/signature info - by matching
> key points in the audio - tedious but rewarding when done.
>
> Now I can release the lock on the audio and we can play midi stuff
> into the machine which not only will match the audio in time - but
> can be used to score the music.
>
> --- I can expand further if anyone wants to understand this better
> - it is vital to me (and I don't think VST would have it if I was
> the only one ;-)

Ok, I think I get the idea now. :-)

As to the technical part; I don't think this will be much of a
problem for an audio plugin API. All it takes is that plugins that
care about musical time at all don't make silly assumptions about it
- but that's probably no news in the plugin API world.

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'