Re: [linux-audio-dev] RTC Rate on Slower Machines

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RTC Rate on Slower Machines
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 04:20:13 EET

Billy wrote:

> ttrk supports both syncing to external MIDI and relaying that sync (so
>I block read()'ing on the MIDI device to throttle the SCHED_FIFO
>thread), or being the clock master (and throttling by read()'ing on
>/dev/rtc). So, I need to use the rtc only in the second case.

yup.

> Well that's not so bad. I don't mind my app taking up all the cpu, I
>just care about when the sync doesn't work. 1024hz seems like a
>reasonable requirement.

yes, it's midithing's default, too, but you can change it at runtime. have
you tried 2 Hz yet? doesn't really sound like the music you gave it to
play, but the timing is really rock-solid ;)

personally, i find that every time i increase the rtc resolution beyond
1 kHz, and up to 8 kHz, it gives a 'cleaner' or more relaxed feeling about
the timing, but that may be psychology playing tricks on me.

.tim