Re: [linux-audio-dev] ...saving plugin state

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ...saving plugin state
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 20:15:53 EET

So for that sense what would be nice is a port name and a port label. I
am not sure if this type of stuff is defined already, its been about a
month since I looked at the LADSPA stuff. So the name is used for 'state'
specific information whereas the label i just for the GUI. This would
really make sense for multilingual situations where the plugin could be
initialized with some sort of language setting, and the labels are
generated internally based on that setting. Then, the port names remain
the same since they are for saving and stuff. The downfall of this
however is that if you make the port names too cryptic, then modifying a
'saved state' file won't be so descriptive.

Rick

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Steve Harris wrote:

> You could well be right. I'm not happy about defining the port by its
> label though: "Modulation depth (0=none, 1=AM, 2=RM)" doesn't seem like a
> very nice id. Plus nothing guarantees that the label is unique (I think).
>
> Maybe I sould use less verbose labels ;) but in the absense of a GUI
> they add to usability.
>
> - Steve
>
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 10:36:29AM -0500, Richard C. Burnett wrote:
> > Hmmm, what guarantees port order? I think that if the port were reordered
> > there is more of a chance of mismatch then through port
> > names. Additionally, if more things are added, the old settings would be
> > retained regardless of order and just the newer values set to defaults.
>
> > > I'd be a bit wary about using ladspa port names, then tend to be a bit
> > > long, and subject to change (or maybe thats just me ;) They do have a
> > > guaranteed order though, so you could get away with
> > >
> > > <plugin id="1234" label="plugin-a">
> > > <port value="1"/>
> > > <port value="1.1"/>
> > > <port value="2.1"/>