Re: [linux-audio-dev] ...saving plugin state

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ...saving plugin state
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 20:35:17 EET

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 01:24:08PM -0500, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > You could well be right. I'm not happy about defining the port by its
> > label though: "Modulation depth (0=none, 1=AM, 2=RM)" doesn't seem like a
> > very nice id. Plus nothing guarantees that the label is unique (I think).
> >
> > Maybe I sould use less verbose labels ;) but in the absense of a GUI
> > they add to usability.
>
> When a new version of a plugin is released, does it get a new id number or
> does it retain the previous id?

Pass. The docs say
"unsigned long UniqueID: This numeric identifier indicates the plugin
type uniquely"

I have a vague recolection that you can have two plugins with the same ID
as long as they have the same ports, and that you shouldn't have two
plugins with different ports and the same ID. I've been using the excuse
that none of mine are *actually* released yet, as I have been tweaking
the ports.

I may just have remebered wrong though.

- Steve