Re: [linux-audio-dev] Showing off LAD at the Linuxtag 2001?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Showing off LAD at the Linuxtag 2001?
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 19:21:37 EET

Frank Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been mentioning this a few months ago, and I'm making some additions
> and plans here because things are slowly approaching -
>
> as some of you might now, the german "LinuxTag" is a rather famous Linux
> exhibition (this year for the 8th time, IIRC) which started out as a university
> project in Kaiserslautern and has by now grown so much that it doesn't take
> place in a university anymore, but instead in the "Messezentrum Stuttgart",
> from July 5th to 8th this year (it has been there last year as well).
>
> The organizers have always since the start of the LinuxTag put a lot of
> work into making it a nice merger of commercial and free stuff - that's
> also what their slogan "where .com meets .org" says. They are offering
> booth space both for companies (which have to pay $$) as well as a
> considerable amount of free booth space for free software projects, like
> Debian, KDE, PHP, PovRay, FreeBSD etc (I think last year Arts was there
> as well..?)
>
> In October of last year I had the idea that it might be a great chance for
> the LAD people to be able to show off their abilities and software at the next
> LinuxTag, and this idea is still in my head. I happen to know the organizer
> of the free software booths personally, and I think we might be able to get
> a booth there.

this is certainly a very good idea. i'm in it. not that i have much
to offer in terms of coding skills, but i could help populate the
booth and maybe bring a box and a keyboard.
i'm quite good at studio tech, though, so i might be of use setting
things up for a demonstration.
i could even organize some pa stuff for a demonstration, or
microphones and outboard gear.

but if this is going to take off, we need to get some alsa folks to
join us. how about taking your idea over to alsa-dev as well ?
a cooperation with the arts developers and the gstreamer folks might
also be useful.
maybe cc: their lists ?
frank, will you do that or should i help ? (though i'm not following
either of them for lack of time :( )

time to bring some communities together.

> What could we do? Well, my idea is to have some software+hardware there to
> show that it's possible (and maybe even much better than under MS-OS) to do
> music or sound projects under Linux. This would include such things as:
>
> - MIDI sequencing

takashi ?
frank van de pol ?

and where are the jazz+ folks based ?

> - Harddisk recording

paul ? (well, an overseas journey might be asking a bit too much :)
but then, there might be a sponsor ???)

the broadcast guy ? where does he live ?

> - CD mastering

well, i do some, but it's not that things are that presentable. a
demo of

> - Music typesetting

i don't know of projects based in europe. links or contacts, anyone
?
and the ones i tried demand a strong open-source attitude to be
appreciated. [NOI :-]
just found karl ward's posting. seems GUIDO is abandoned, too.

> - and whatever else you can think of.

dj stuff. maybe alexander can do some fun stuff with his terminatorX
(plus LADSPA plugins) ?

latency demos. benno, how far is stuttgart from südtirol ?

> _If_ we get enough people together to man the booth for 4 days, I would
> start getting in contact with Martin Schulze (the organizer) soon as they
> have already begun collecting calls for papers now, which means the booth
> allocation ralley is about to begin.

consider me there.

> Ok, so my current questions are mostly these:
> - Are there enough people interested in such a LAD booth so we could populate
> it for 4 days?
> - Will the software we want to show be at a usable state at that time (I know
> this question is almost impossible to answer :-)
> - Will there be sponsors who could pay for some "prominent" people who have
> to travel a bit?

suse ?
rme ?
would be best if the big guys around here ask for sponsors (think
"oh, that guy - he's cute, i know him from lkml|cebit|younameit.
sure we'll pay his ticket")

> - What software should actually be demonstrated (think in terms of "ohh-ahhh"
> effects :-)

ardour, terminatorx, steve harris' set of plugins...
rtsynth ? the maintainer, stefan nitschke, seems to be german, too
:)
but i don't have his address. should we try to win him for a demo,
too ?
ecasound, definitely. but i'm not too well acquainted with it, and i
doubt kai will sail in from finland. (prove me wrong, kai !)

how about the typical electronic composer tools (csound, the notam
stuff, pd, mix, etc.) ?
are there german computer music studios or other interested folks
who might be willing to show their linux-based work ?
we once had a post here from miriam rainsford, a british composer.
mirjam, are you still with us ?
i could ask for interested folk in our computer music studio in
essen, but it seems these guys are not too much into linux here.
some multi-channel live electronic music would certainly be good for
some ohh-ahh effects :)

jazz+ ?
broadcast ?
but for these, the respective developers should be there.

> - Is anyone interested in holding a 60-minute talk on some audio-centric
> theme? Language could be german or english.
>
> If all of this works out fine, I think this would be a great opportunity to
> raise a lot of interest in MIDI&Sound under Linux. Last year I was at the
> Debian booth, and the atmosphere as well as the personal contacts we had
> were really great.
>
> Should we succeed in putting this together, I'll already offer at this time
> that I will bring a (still to be purchased) reasonable fast/new PC with
> large monitor, lots of HD space, my trusty Roland D-50 synthesizer, an
> Akai sampler and maybe some more MIDI/sound hardware with me. Fortunately
> I live only 70km from Stuttgart, so that's a rather short travel for me.

i can throw in my box (dual p3/600 w/512M, 4G ultra-scsi and 45G
ATA/33 sblive and ens1371, 100baseT, voodoo3/3000).
the thing is i don't drive (never had a license). so either someone
picks me up in essen, or i'll come by train, but in that case i
won't bring a monitor for obvious reasons.

how about cheap accomodation ? a gym with a shower would be just
fine.

> Oh, and before I forget: As usual there is no entrance fee to the LinuxTag.
> It has, and hopefully will always be, a free show. http://www.linuxtag.de/
>
> Waiting for feedback,
> Frank

regards,

jörn

ps: frank, do you think you could send your mail privately to stefan
nitschke, stefan westerfeld, maybe jaroslav, takashi, frank van de
pol and benno, maybe with a personal invitation ?
btw: how about maarten de boer ? the netherlands are not too far
away...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany