Re: [linux-audio-dev] Showing off LAD at the Linuxtag 2001?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Showing off LAD at the Linuxtag 2001?
From: Frank Neumann (franky_AT_viona.de)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 20:32:00 EET

Hi,
Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

[..]
> this is certainly a very good idea. i'm in it. not that i have much
> to offer in terms of coding skills, but i could help populate the
> booth and maybe bring a box and a keyboard.

That's just as important as technical skills. I'm sure that if we want to
prepare some good demos, we will need lots of skills: someone to compose
a bit of music, someone with technical background (P.A. etc), and people
who are able to talk to interested visitors.

> i'm quite good at studio tech, though, so i might be of use setting
> things up for a demonstration.
> i could even organize some pa stuff for a demonstration, or
> microphones and outboard gear.

Great! I've put you one my list of possible helpers (which includes a total
of 4 names so far - sounds like enough to get the ball rolling).

> but if this is going to take off, we need to get some alsa folks to
> join us. how about taking your idea over to alsa-dev as well ?
> a cooperation with the arts developers and the gstreamer folks might
> also be useful.
> maybe cc: their lists ?
> frank, will you do that or should i help ? (though i'm not following
> either of them for lack of time :( )

Neither am I, sorry; I can mail some of the folks, but I have avoided the
high-traffic mailing lists so far. I know that Stefan Westerfeld is also
reading this list, so he should already know by now.

> time to bring some communities together.

Ok, agreed.

[..couple of ideas deleted - I'll keep them in my planning.txt :-]

> > - Music typesetting
>
> i don't know of projects based in europe. links or contacts, anyone
> ?
> and the ones i tried demand a strong open-source attitude to be
> appreciated. [NOI :-]

What might be sort-of usable here is a mixture of lilypond
(http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/lilypond/) and denemo (denemo.sourceforge.net).
I've only tried both slightly, though. Oh, and the typesetting support in
MusE is not that bad, either (and a bit more intuitive perhaps).

[..]

> > - Will there be sponsors who could pay for some "prominent" people who have
> > to travel a bit?
>
> suse ?
> rme ?
> would be best if the big guys around here ask for sponsors (think
> "oh, that guy - he's cute, i know him from lkml|cebit|younameit.
> sure we'll pay his ticket")

That certainly makes sense.

> > - What software should actually be demonstrated (think in terms of "ohh-ahhh"
> > effects :-)
>
> ardour, terminatorx, steve harris' set of plugins...
> rtsynth ? the maintainer, stefan nitschke, seems to be german, too
> :)
> but i don't have his address. should we try to win him for a demo,
> too ?

I don't know a lot about RTSynth, but it seems it's not open source -
which is not fatal, but personally I'd prefer to show open source software.
Stefan seems to be reachable as stefan_AT_virtualtourist.com .

[..]

> i can throw in my box (dual p3/600 w/512M, 4G ultra-scsi and 45G
> ATA/33 sblive and ens1371, 100baseT, voodoo3/3000).
> the thing is i don't drive (never had a license). so either someone
> picks me up in essen, or i'll come by train, but in that case i
> won't bring a monitor for obvious reasons.

Ok, so we already know we won't have any problems with required hardware
resources. Good (actually this has never yet been a problem :-).

> how about cheap accomodation ? a gym with a shower would be just
> fine.

No info available on that yet, but last year it was really rather cheap,
though quite simplistic. That'll be arranged in time.

> ps: frank, do you think you could send your mail privately to stefan
> nitschke, stefan westerfeld, maybe jaroslav, takashi, frank van de
> pol and benno, maybe with a personal invitation ?
> btw: how about maarten de boer ? the netherlands are not too far
> away...

I think most of these are reading this list, too. Ok, as for the ALSA
people - it would be good to have them there as well, but I think Takashi
is also on this list, right? :-)

Frank