Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA 0.1.0 tarball available

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA 0.1.0 tarball available
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 15:29:24 EEST

>This is with abramo's patch applied, and current cvs alsa.
>
>With my ens1271 at work (not a very good card I know, but it works with
>ardour). I get:
>
>[swh_AT_inanna laaga-0.1.0]$ ./engine
>creating alsa driver ... default|64|48000
>ALSA: cannot set fragment count minimum to 2 for capture
>ALSA-MCD: cannot configure capture channel
>cannot load ALSA driver module
>
>I tried changing the fragment count to 1, and that started, but then when
>I start the client I get:
>
>[swh_AT_inanna laaga-0.1.0]$ ./client foo
>cannot determine shared memory segment for port segment key 0x0
>laaga server not running?

this is symptomatic of something else actually. because i can't get
the engine to reliably exit (i.e. *all* of its threads stop running),
sometimes the main server socket as represented by /tmp/laaga_N,
probably 0) continues to exist. connections to it work, but there's
no-one there to do the right thing. if you do

         killall -9 engine; rm -r /tmp/laaga_*

before starting the engine then this won't happen. i'm still trying to
understand how an application can have apparently exited when one of
its threads is still running. this seems like a serious problem, eh?

these are the sort of details I referred to when i talked about the
work needed to make it "absolutely reliable" :)

>Surely the card must support 2 fragments?

it means it won't support two fragments of 64 frames each. i'm still
working out a way to pass driver config arguments in, but for now, try
using 256 or 128 as the frame count by modifying the code at the very
end of alsa_driver.c

--p