Re: [linux-audio-dev] Another Annoying "How Do I Get Started" Question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Another Annoying "How Do I Get Started" Question
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_anime.net)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 01:13:42 EEST

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Tom Pincince wrote:
> > How do I access all of the channels of my Hoontech DSP24 II?
> The DSP24 II uses the Envy 24 i/o controller chip, ICE1712. It is used
> in a number of digital i/o cards, such as the midiman delta series.
> ALSA supports the delta cards. The DSP24 is currently code green, which
> means that the documentation necessary to write a driver is available,
> but a driver has not yet been written.

We don't have documentation on the routing layout of the DSP24 so it's not
yet "supported". There is a chance the current ALSA ice1712 driver will
work "out of the box" or with minimal tweaking.

> While I have not used OSS, my understanding is that it doesn't support
> the advanced features of modern multi-channel cards. Look into ALSA.

OSS doesnt have any of the functions required for modern multichannel
cards. Right now ALSA is the only answer for e.g. RME hammerfall,
professional multitracking, and for real iec958 support.

-Dan