Re: [linux-audio-dev] Another Annoying "How Do I GetStarted"Question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Another Annoying "How Do I GetStarted"Question
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 01:56:57 EEST

Greg Berchin wrote:

> Paul Winkler wrote:
(snip)
> >You can still write double-precision code in LADSPA plugins as long as
> >the inputs and outputs are 32-bit floats.
>
> Are they necessarily floats, or can they be viewed as generic 32 bit
> entities? That is to say, could I create a C-language union in my code
> that takes 32 bit floats, as far as the I/O is concerned, but regards them
> internally as 32 bit integers or concatenates them into doubles?

Sounds like a weird hack that would lose the whole point of using LADSPA in the
first place (i.e. reusability by different applications and/or being able to use
existing LADSPA hosts).

The LADSPA API is contained in this header file:
http://www.ladspa.org/ladspa_sdk/ladspa.h.txt
All communication in LADSPA uses the same type, defined as:

typedef float LADSPA_Data;

You could maybe change that to doubles instead, and then recompile the host
application and any plugins you're using; but I don't know if there are any
hidden issues. It would be interesting (and pretty easy) to try.

--
custom calendars & printing: http://www.calendargalaxy.com