[linux-audio-dev] Audio-CVS

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Audio-CVS
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 21:15:07 EEST

Hello. I have toyed with the following idea (no patent pending).

CVS system for audio projects:

The main purpose of such a system would be to allow several
people to work with the same project, and to extend the version
history control beyond the "undo/redo". The Audio-CVS could be
an external system with respect to the audio application, but
it could be an internal system (API) too.

The Audio-CVS would be used as a local or a network service just
like the CVS is used. Each user would have a local working copy
of the files which are eventually updated against the main copy.

The Audio-CVS could be based on non-destructive editing system:
only original files are kept in the Audio-CVS server. Each user
would download only the original files, the EDL diffs, processing
history, and plug-ins used in the project (there could be more
which should be downloaded). Then the local audiofile copies are
computed according to the processing history.

I'm sure most of the functionality of Audio-CVS can be handled
with the CVS.

Comments?

Best regards,

Juhana