Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio-CVS

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio-CVS
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 22:04:19 EEST

In message <20010719181513Z13436-380+386_AT_nic.funet.fi>you write:
>Hello. I have toyed with the following idea (no patent pending).
>
>CVS system for audio projects:
  [ ... ]
>I'm sure most of the functionality of Audio-CVS can be handled
>with the CVS.

Juhana, you are, unfortunately, once again demonstrating the problems
of "designing without coding".

Non-linear, non-destructive (NLND) editing is an inherently much more complex
problem than your idea suggests.

You are also making a mistake that I made in Ardour. NLND *wave*
editing is useful, but nowhere near as useful as NLND *music*
editing. Representing edited *music* is not done with WAV, or AIFF;
instead, it would be done with standards like AES31 and/or OMF.

In this case, CVS probably would work, since those files are just text
files describing playlists, in essence.

--p