Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio-CVS

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio-CVS
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 23:14:29 EEST

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Hello. I have toyed with the following idea (no patent pending).

I'm gald you're not trying to patent this idea as pror art would
prevent it :-).

> CVS system for audio projects:
>
> The main purpose of such a system would be to allow several
> people to work with the same project, and to extend the version
> history control beyond the "undo/redo". The Audio-CVS could be
> an external system with respect to the audio application, but
> it could be an internal system (API) too.
>
> The Audio-CVS would be used as a local or a network service just
> like the CVS is used. Each user would have a local working copy
> of the files which are eventually updated against the main copy.
>
> The Audio-CVS could be based on non-destructive editing system:
> only original files are kept in the Audio-CVS server. Each user
> would download only the original files, the EDL diffs, processing
> history, and plug-ins used in the project (there could be more
> which should be downloaded). Then the local audiofile copies are
> computed according to the processing history.

This idea of non-destructive editing has been used in the Fairlight
disk recorder for over 10 years. I think MFX 1 was released in about
1989.

Erik

Erik de Castro Lopo     nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com      (Yes its valid)
With 22,100,000 legitimate businesses in the US alone,
allowing each to send only one UCE per *year* gets every
mailbox 60,547 emails per day. There will either be email
without UCE or there will be no email.