Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio-CVS

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio-CVS
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 20:09:30 EEST

>From: Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd_AT_zip.com.au>
>
>Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
>>
>> Hello. I have toyed with the following idea (no patent pending).
>
>I'm gald you're not trying to patent this idea as pror art would
>prevent it :-).
[ ... ]
>This idea of non-destructive editing has been used in the Fairlight
>disk recorder for over 10 years. I think MFX 1 was released in about
>1989.

Actually, it is not just a non-destructive editing system.
I'm sure I could get a U.S. patent granted for it if I had money
and interest in doing so. (Did they granded Amazon the "one click"
patent, or not?) I'm sure at least film industry would be interested
in a system which allows multiple people to work on the same project
in a modern way and have a proper revision history --- both audio and
video would be under CVS. Use of existing system -- that is, CVS --
would make the system be cost-efficient and reliable as well.

Yes, the diffed files should be text files, but the diffing in CVS is
just a method to compress the data. It doesn't matter if media-CVS
would just copy the files instead of diffing. Media-CVS would work also
with commercial EDL files.

Regards,

Juhana