Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 12:31:00 EEST

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Frank Neumann wrote:

> Hi Jay, Ts wrote:
>
> [..]
> > > Paul Davis presented Ardour as an equivalant of the Mackie hardware
> > > recorder which complement their digital mixing desk.
> > > It seems to me that Ardour is nice for this task but what kind of
> > > editing does it offer?
> >
> > An interesting comment, considering that just earlier I was thinking
> > it would be nice to have a decent audio file editor for Linux, similar
> > to Wavelab or Sound Forge.
>
> Under Linux, I tend to choose from either Sweep (sweep.sourceforge.net),
> gnoise (gnoise.sourceforge.net) or audacity (audacity.sourceforge.net),
> where the latter seems to be the most active one right now, and also the
> one (IMHO) with the most comfortable user interface. I have been using
> it to extract some 30 samples from a large binary file, and it went
> pretty easily and fast. The version I was using then still crashed
> sometimes, but CVS access is possible, and a lot of changes have
> happened since then.

As nobody did mention GLAME yet: GLAME has a audio file editor component
that is capable of handling large files, unlimited (well, configure that)
undo/redo and has an at least usable user interface. Its functionality
is at least comparable to those of Sweep and gnoise (I dont know
audiacity) and its stable (the wave editing component - at least, we dont
get it crashing, others might). Try out the 0.5.2 snapshot.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/