Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 17:29:28 EEST

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 09:21:14AM -0400, Richard C. Burnett wrote:
> I guess I am wondering what methods/practices do others use when creating
> music that has audio and midi requirements. It would probably be good to
> see what people 'like' in a tool, what they 'dislike'.

I tend to record into a multitrack tool, using the MIDI clock (or
whatever) to sync any external MIDI kit, and record the dry audio output
of the hardware.

Once I have the audio recorded I can process it with whatever I like, if I
need to use an external effect twice I just record the output of it next
to one of the dry tracks. With plugins I usually make one pass with and
recorded the output as I didn't trust my machine (under windows) to run
glitch free every time.

I sucessfully used ardour to do this a few times (probably without MIDI
though, I don't remeber).

- Steve