Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour Q

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour Q
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 14:31:17 EEST

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 10:15:29PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> then you haven't done much with C++ libraries, especially since the
> debacle of RH's move to gcc 2.96, which broke binary compatibility
> with g++ 2.95. not only that, but i have heard that there were
> intermediate versions of gcc they packaged with are not even binary
> compatible with each other.

I've said this several time before. Prior to 3.0 there was no standard ABI
for c++. If you manage to run a binary that links against things built
with a different version then you got lucky. There is nothing special
about 2.96 in this regard.

From 3.0 onwards, if it doesn't work it is a bug.

RH were compelled to ship newer versions of gcc, as

1) gcc advised them to.
2) 2.95 has many, many c++ bugs (I don't understand the issues, I'm not a
   c++ programmer).

I'm not saying that they made the right decision, but if the gcc
maintainers tell you you should ship verison X you'd have to think twice
before shipping a different one.

- Steve