Re: [linux-audio-dev] packaging

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] packaging
From: Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 14:14:47 EEST

Hi,
Paul Davis wrote:

[...]

> If someone has an actual, real-world, working example of how to do all
> this stuff better, bring it on. The library stuff is a total
> hassle. But I've been hacking Unix systems and open source for 13 or
> 14 years now, and I don't see any good solutions for what is at heart
> caused by a bunch of moving goalposts. It would be great to find one.

Only a stupid little suggestion - it probably does not make sense right
now that Ardour has not entered a "1.0" state yet, but later you you
might consider building statically linked binaries of it. I know, these
binaries become huge, but at least this kills off all of your dependancy
problems for _this_ build.

I have seen some commercial applications (the last one being the
"SourceOffSite" development tool to access MS SourceSafe databases from
remote (non-LAN) machines)) that have their Linux port distributed as
static binaries.

Just a thought,
Frank