Re: [linux-audio-dev] Laaga "default" audio I/O hooks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Laaga "default" audio I/O hooks
From: Jarno Seppanen (jams_AT_cs.tut.fi)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 23:42:00 EEST

jams_AT_cs.tut.fi (Jarno Seppanen) writes a lot, confused:

> Looks good! One little change though,

Okay, forget everything I wrote.

I realized what the problem really is and what the answer really is, akin to a
real modular studio setup. The default audio I/O "hooking" should be done
with a patchbay client. That is, a client that has pairs of ports like "audio
output 1" and "audio output to driver 1" which are tied together (zero copy).
The client itself does nothing, it only supplies the ports. Only the engine
and/or the driver(s) should be modified to connect to the patchbay's driver
ports at startup. After this, every detail of the problem can be addressed
using the plain current Laaga API. Isn't that nice!

This makes the "alias" interface unnecessary. The Laaga apps can now connect
to "Patchbay:audio input 1" etc. for audio input and "Patchbay:audio output 1"
etc. for audio output. The clients that want to "hook" to the system default
audio inputs or outputs can wire themselves to "Patchbay:audio output to
driver 1" etc. or "Patchbay:audio input from driver 1" etc.

Now I hacked together the code for the patchbay client, but as usual, I cannot
test it :) Interested parties can fetch it from
http://iem.kug.ac.at/~jams/laaga-patchbay.tgz

Good night!

--
-Jarno